Friday, April 20, 2007

Footprints

I determined my own personal ecological footprint today, and it returned results stating how much land I personally use. According to the website, I use 3.3 hectares for food, 0 for mobility, and 0.8 for shelter, giving me a total of 4.9 hectares in total.

IN COMPARISON, THE AVERAGE ECOLOGICAL FOOTPRINT IN YOUR COUNTRY IS 8.8 GLOBAL HECTARES PER PERSON.

WORLDWIDE, THERE EXIST 1.8 BIOLOGICALLY PRODUCTIVE GLOBAL HECTARES PER PERSON.




I then found out my lifestyle footprint.

Everything goes wrong that can go wrong, in this future of risk and paranoia. Total ecological footprint is halved, but for the wrong reasons - economic stagnation and social malaise. The rich consume avariciously while others tighten their belts, amidst a host of problems - climate change, urban unrest, toxic waste, mutant organisms, and international terrorism.

My lifestyle footprint has apparently plunged the world into some sort of Orwellian nightmare. Oops. My attempts to cut economic boom has apparently gone in the other direction, creating stagnation and recession, while the climate appears to be taking a turn for the worse. The best way to curb this would be to invest money in industries that can help raise the country’s GNP and raise it from this social nightmare I accidentally created.

No comments: